Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Naturalized

All of 'our' properties have had inclinations toward the wild.
Sometimes it has been a matter of necessity to carve out areas for barns, sheds, gardens, parking-
20+ years ago I was on a hunt for shelter; and because of budget restraints
was gifted with the opportunity to reclaim an abandoned homestead.
The powers that be, considered it a" Camp " at best. No matter !
At the time I 'believed' I was young enough to cope-
I asked for help from friends, family and banks. I got quite a bit from each.
Overall it was a mess. No water except springs, no electric, septic...
It had experienced several fires, graffiti, & much weather .
It was set on ledge, bordered by stone walls. It had the beginnings of 2 dirt
tracks into the interior.
Compromise, patience and endurance brought it and myself, to a much
improved state.Vision certainly helped! It remains a primitive place,
however it provided me with all the basics .
Then we decided to take a chance on larger, more open property .
Compromised on the dwelling-inherited much water...Built another barn.
Put up a lot of pasture. Made a bigger vegetable garden. The ultimate downfall
was location and taxes...
We moved east. Chose a newer home, again on a hill !
It had lovely ponds and quitea bit of land with decent soil.
Not much else. We built another barn, paddocks, & garden.
Each time Mother Nature has ringed us with her beautiful, unaltered self.
Trees and wildlife have been allowed to trespass as need be.
We only strive to co-exist. Time has tempered our efforts
at ' boundaries'.
Our last, latest move- has been for economic reasons.
A little closer to amenities-stores and gasoline-even within striking distance
of a highway! It has been a good choice. Enough property and privacy
to sustain yet another barn, pastures and garden!
Charm is probably the best description for this "Cottage".
I am not a fan of Capes. Yet here we are-each of our homes has been
beautiful in its own particular way. Have we optimized it ? I like to think so.
Could we do better ? Surely- with more dollars to spare, yes indeed.
Am I satisfied ? Well- I push forward- I aim higher.
How far will that take us ? I will let you know,
" Hands to work, hearts to God-"

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a 20-year adventure in moving, building, learning, growing (yourself AND the gardens, etc.)! Experiences many do not ever dream...

    I like your blog, took me a while to become your "first" follower on this blog. It used to be such a simple thing, just click and follow! Now ya gotta become a member of Google's world-wide version of Twitter, Face Book, and "Tube"...Oh well, just what I need--more connectives!

    Hey I'll be back, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, restless as gypsies ! -and I can appreciate difficulties w/ following etc. (Not more than a few clues myself!) Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Izzy, apologize for the double-dip...but in case you do not check, I left (what I believe to be) a very important message in comments on one of your other blogs...OK? (I bet you'll thank me in a few weeks!)

    ReplyDelete